Monday, June 20, 2011

June 2011

I hope you are all surviving the heat. My car is currently without air conditioning and unfortunately, I have many other priorities that rank above a cool car ride on my to-do list! I keep reminding myself that people lived for centuries before the avent of fans and air conditioning and were just fine...though I'm sure heatstroke was more commonplace.

Despite the recent heatwave, I've been practicing yoga outside quite a bit lately. If you follow me on facebook or twitter, you have probably seen multiple postings about days and times I will be doing yoga in the park. If you are on facebook and aren't my friend already, you can add me: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=505304444 or "like" my business page Amanda Markland Group and Private Yoga Instruction: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Amanda-Markland-Group-and-Private-Yoga-Instruction/105675926157817. You are always welcome to join me for outdoor yoga adventures! Be aware that although it is free, these are NOT classes. I will not be leading or teaching. Come with something in mind that you want to practice. Teacher trainees, perhaps one of your sequences for homework. If you would like to come practice but have no idea what to do when you get there, I am currently selling my Ashtanga Primary Series Practice Card (cheat sheet) complete with opening and closing chants in English and Sanskrit, poses names, and asanas demonstrated by yours truly. You can buy your copy online for $10 at: http://www.amandamarklandyoga.com/ashtangacheatsheet.html, or purchase one from me in person before or after class at your leisure. Not only is ashtanga yoga fabulous and life changing, but having a memorized series of postures you can take with you everywhere is incredibly empowering.

The style of yoga we have been practicing in the park is called Mysore ashtanga and is named for the city in India where Sri K. Patthabi Jois lived and taught, and where his grandson Sharath still lives and continues to teach ashtanga yoga in the tradition of Sri KPJ. Mysore ashtanga is self-lead. You come to class and practice at your own pace, and the teacher adjusts you or helps you as necessary. It's a fascinating and highly effective way to learn. After all, think about how many times you've been in class and wanted to work on a specific pose longer, but the class was moving on. If you've ever had a question or needed extra guidance in a challenging posture in a large class, but the teacher didn't have enough time for everyone, you can also see how having everyone practicing in different places can be beneficial. The Mysore method makes it possible for the teacher to assist everyone more effectively. It's almost like one-on-one instruction, but with other yogis surrounding you and practicing at their own pace as well. This is the way ashtanga yoga is traditionally taught in Mysore, India and around the globe.

However, the difference between a traditional Mysore class and my yoga practices in the park is that there is no teacher giving help or adjustments. You are on your own. It is just practice as opposed to class, if that makes sense. If you get totally confused, I'm more than willing to answer a quick question or perhaps give a quick assist, but for the most part I will be breathing and bending on my own mat...not leading the group. Don't let that keep you from coming! Take advantage of the nice weather...the great outdoors is a giant yoga studio!

No comments:

Post a Comment