Monday, December 12, 2011

July 2011

Just over a week ago, I stepped off the plane from sunny Encinitas, California, a yoga mecca for many. I was fortunate enough to spend two inspirational weeks with Tim Miller, a guy I'm proud to call my teacher, and about 40 other fabulous yogis. We learned ashtanga Primary series from the ground up. As you probably know, I've been leading Primary series classes for some time now in and around Indy. This training deepened my knowledge of the asanas of Primary series, and I'm now as official as you can get as an ashtanga teacher this side of India!

I had the opportunity to practice 5 mornings per week in one of the busiest and most experienced Mysore rooms in the country. There were several people practicing all of Third series and a couple who were starting to learn Fourth series. If you've seen Primary series or if you attended my Second series workshop, you can probably imagine the nature of postures that follow. If not, google "advanced ashtanga yoga" and see what you find!

In case you missed my last newsletter where I explained the Mysore style of teaching, Mysore is the traditional way the practice is transmitted in Mysore, India, which is where K. Pattabhi Jois (the godfather of ashtanga yoga as we know it in the US) and his family are from. The studio where I was in California has both Mysore and led classes, like the ones I teach here in town, as well as improv (freestyle vinyasa) and intro classes. Because of the growing interest in ashtanga yoga locally, I am considering switching some of my early morning classes to Mysore classes. That means more flexibility in the time you can show up, providing you are done by a certain time.

Everyone is welcome in a Mysore class, providing they are willing to commit to come regularly and try to learn the series. I still sell my Primary series practice cards for $10, which you can bring with you to class. Practice cards can be purchased from me in person, or online at: http://www.amandamarklandyoga.com/ashtangacheatsheet.html. I will be there to adjust you where you need adjusting, help you with new poses, and answer questions. As of yet, nothing is set in stone. I am trying to prepare folks for the switch-over. If you aren't familiar with ashtanga yoga, know that if you come to my classes on the regular, you are almost always doing some combination of Primary series. Let me know your thoughts on times you would like to see a Mysore class, and if you have questions. I promise it is a totally rewarding experience that changed my yoga practice forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment