I hope you are enjoying the unseasonably warm fall weather. As the year comes to a close, and the leaves begin to change color and fall to the ground, I am reminded of the impermanence that exists in everything. The temporary state of the seasons, the day-to-day shifts and changes we each experience, and the knowledge that your life can change in an instant.
My most recent experience with impermanence occurred several days ago. In the winter months, I bowl on a league to pass the time and see friends when it's cold and unpleasant outside. On Monday, I received a call from one of my bowling teammates saying he had broken his elbow over the weekend and was unable to continue with the season. I immediately began to stress over who we could find to replace him, and actually lost sleep over it Monday night. After some thought and examination, it seemed clear that this was just another one of life's lessons: I cannot control unforseen circumstances. In an instant, everything can change.
My recent brush with the unexpected is a less serious example of change and impermanence. I see more horrific instances every evening on the news: tragic accidents, acts of violence, and the results of reckless behavior. My take-away from all of this is to try and remember to be present in each moment. If we live each day without regret for the past and apprehension for the future, we can truly practice yoga: stilling and quieting the mind through breath, movement, focus, and restraint.
Read on for details on class times and locations. Additionally, be sure to make a trip to the Lululemon Showroom in Broad Ripple during the month of October. Invoke Yoga & Pilates is October's studio of the month. Be sure to drop by on Saturdays at 9am for free classes with a variety of fabulous instructors, or pop by the showroom another day to shop for mats, yoga wear, and accessories. Scroll down for additional details.
Namaste!
Monday, February 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment