Monday, February 21, 2011

November 2010

As we fast approach the holiday season and focus all of our efforts on giving to others, it's important not to short-change ourselves. Though fall is most certainly a busy time of year, the holidays bring travel, personal commitments, and craziness in general.

I have had several students recently who have allowed yoga to take backseat to the rest of their lives. I must admit that I have slipped into that category myself in recent weeks. It's easy to let our commitment to ourselves disappear when faced with our responsibilities to work, school, family, and the hecticness of everyday life. When we become overextended, the pursuit of a healthy body and fit mind often becomes tertiary.

I recently made a commitment to myself that I would make time for yoga at least four days a week. Five is my ideal number of practice days, but there are some weeks where that is unrealistic. I've not set any specific time limits, just making sure that I am present on my mat more than half of the week....even if it's just for 45 minutes to an hour. So far, I am practicing more than I have in the past few months, so I am happy to report I'm making progress toward my goal.

Many of you are probably thinking there's no way you could ever do that much yoga. Regardless of what your practice schedule currently is, it's important to try to find time for it. Even if you only attend class or practice once a week, it's important to honor that commitment to yourself. After all, it's hard to do your best in other areas of your life if you don't take care of you. So whatever your current personal care consists of, it's important to take that time for you so you can be the best employee, spouse, parent, son or daughter, friend, or student that you can be.

Please read on for some small scheduling changes at the Complementary Medicine Center. I will almost certainly be adding another morning class to the January 2011 schedule. In addition, be sure to check out the registration dates for the 4-week holiday series on the southside. The abbreviated holiday schedule will be included in the December newsletter. Have a fabulous Thanksgiving.



Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment