Thursday, July 8, 2010

July 2010

Friends and Fellow Yogis,


I hope everyone had a safe and happy Fourth of July. Among all the hubbub of fireworks, parades, and cookouts, it's easy to forget why we celebrate this holiday. I try to be grateful for my health and freedom, especially on days when insignificant things seem to bother me.

Several weeks ago, I spoke about the the benefits of yoga for re-entry at the Indianapolis Re-entry Education Facility new resident orientation. One of my main points of emphasis was that merely getting a job is not enough to be successful and stay out of prison. Your approach to your life is critical, and a positive outlook starts with physical and mental wellness. On a personal level, I'm sure we can all relate to the fact that work alone is simply not enough to lead a happy, healthy, well-rounded life.

I think the reasons why people begin practicing yoga vary greatly from person to person. For me, It thought it might be a fun class to take in college to fill elective credits and help me stay in shape. But I soon found that yoga was so much more than that. What started as an exercise routine has turned into a lifestyle for me, and has helped me work through some of the darkest and most difficult times in my life. I'm sure that many of you who have an established practice have had similar experiences. The physical practice of yoga brings intelligence from the mind to the body through stretching and to the physiological body by holding each asana, or yoga posture. The development of physical awareness and union of the breath, mind, and body can be life-changing. I can only hope that some of the residents at IREF are able to share this experience, and use yogic teachings to stay out of prison.

The yoga program at IREF has been somewhat of a success, even earning an article in the IREF Propeller, the IREF Newsletter written and compiled by residents and distributed to staff at other IDOC facilities. You will notice my picture on the right-hand side or the article, and a mention...though my last name is misspelled! Finally, be sure to check out my new classes on the southside. The new 8-week series for all southside classes begins July 19th. My complete current class schedule is listed below. Check out my website, www.amandamarklandyoga.com, for additional details. You can even buy the new series and individual classes on my snazzy new site! I hope to see you in class soon!



Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment