Saturday, June 26, 2010

June 2010

Friends and Fellow Yogis,

I hope everyone is enjoying the warm weather, though we have definitely had our fair share of rain here in the Midwest this week! This is a busy time of year for everyone, and I hope to see your face in class soon if it has been awhile.

I have been a busy bee myself, mostly with yogic endeavors. I was fortunate enough to do several workshops last weekend with Tim Miller, the first American to be certified to teach Ashtanga yoga by Patthabi Jois. This was my first time studying with Tim, but undoubtedly not my last. It is very likely that I will travel to California to study with him in the future.

It is evident that Tim learned his teaching method in India. His teaching style was traditional, and he even instructed the class in Sanskrit, which is not an experience you get everyday. I found Tim to be completely inspiring, which makes me hungry to learn all that I can about the fabulous and transformative discipline of yoga.

Be on the lookout for new classes and exciting workshops later this summer and into the fall. If you haven't checked out my newly formatted website, be sure to do so www.amandamarklandyoga.com. Website design and formatting are the handiwork of the multi-talented Kylee Wall, a local video editor, web designer, freelance photographer, and friend. You can check out her stuff here: http://kyleesportfolio.com/Kylee_Wall.html.

In addition, I just created a twitter account where I promise to try to appear regularly. You can follow my tweets (username: amarklandyoga) or find me on facebook! Finally, all southsiders should check out my new southside location. Address and directions can be found below.

1 comment:

  1. I know about two of them: "Bhagavad Gita" and "The Hatha Yoga Pradipika." Both are two of the earliest writings detailing the practice of yoga. If you are interested in yogic philosophy, I highly suggest getting a copy of "The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali" which is a 5,000 year old set of aphorisms that detail the path to enlightenment via yoga. The translation by B.K.S. Iyengar is user-friendly and has a Sanskrit glossary in the back. That book is called "Light on Yoga Sutras of Patanjali" and can be purchased on Amazon.com or some such place.

    ReplyDelete