I'm hoping you all had time to unthaw since last week's ice storm and that your bums are still un-bruised and your palms remain scratch-free. Though digging out is never fun, I must say that I enjoyed last week's mid-week vacation on account of the bad weather. From what I hear, many of you had Tuesday through Friday off from work. Cabin fever aside, it's a great thing to have time away from responsibility once in a while.
During my two days trapped in the house, I considered doing many things that were productive: washing the dishes, tackling the junk that has accumulated in my spare room, bathing the dogs, etc. But perhaps the most important thing I did NOT do was practice yoga. Though it is great to take a day or two off, especially from a hard-hitting, exhausting yoga practice, it is necessary to take time to be present in spirit on our mats each day...even if that just means some light stretching or restorative postures followed by Savasana. That said, I am a firm believer that we all need at least one day of rest per week. It's just important not to let that day of rest stretch out into a week or laziness and inactivity. Couch potatoes: Holla back. I know I'm not alone!
This idea of maintaining a steady, devoted yoga practice is known as Tapas within yogic philosophy and is one of the yoga Niyamas or observances. If you are a food connoisseur, or just a snack-loving yogi like myself, your mouth is probably watering right now as you daydream of any number of Spanish appetizers. Curb your appetite for a moment, and consider that Tapas is also austerity and a deep commitment to your yoga practice. I wish I had more of both varieties of Tapas in my life: the dedication and the food! Practicing Tapas begins by resisting the urge to make excuses NOT to practice....which is quite easy some days. It's making yoga a priority in your life and your day-to-day business. If you are currently a weekly practitioner, that's a start, friend. Be patient and continue to build your practice. All is coming.
If nothing else, the next time you are hungry, you will remember this talk of Tapas and think of your practice. You have several opportunities to exercise your new understanding of devotion in the month of February. In addition to my on-going classes all over town (including a new class at my Greenwood location), I am holding a hip-opening workshop on Saturday, February 19th from 1:00-2:30pm. The cost for this special class is $20. It is appropriate for the complete novice to the experienced yogi. You can pre-register and pay in person or online at www.amandamarklandyoga.com via PayPal.
Also, be sure to check out my new monthly feature, the asana of the month. Perhaps you can use this as an inspiration to strike a pose on your mat at home. Stay warm and have a Happy Valentine's Day! I will be teaching the Sunday before Valentine's Day (February 13th) at 10am at Invoke Yoga and Pilates, www.invokestudio.com, and all three of my regularly scheduled classes on Monday, February 14th: 6:30am at Invoke, and 9:15am and 6:00pm at the Complementary Medicine Center, www.amandamarklandyoga.com. Come share this day of l'amour with your fellow yogis. And remember, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!
Namaste!
Monday, February 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment