Saturday, June 26, 2010

March 2010

Friends and Fellow Yogis,

I think it’s very common for yogis to take the practice of yoga for granted. I mean this in regard to asana practice as well as the overall philosophy that accompanies physical practice, breath work, and meditation. We often take for granted the benefits we receive as a result of practicing the union of mind and body that is yoga. Although these benefits are initially only physically apparent, the mental clarity and personal growth that evolve from the consistent practice of yoga are attainable for everyone.

For example, about two weeks ago, I had to travel out of town for my current “big girl job,” which is technically an internship, but involves dress pants and desk work. Essentially, it is working for free with a bit less accountability because I’m just the intern. The distance I travelled was almost three hours one way, and I drove all the way there and back. The evening after my trip and most of the next day, my back was extremely tight and achy, almost to the point that I suspected I had injured myself. I might also add that this was a week of very little yoga for me. I made my way to a yoga class, and after several Urdhva Dhanurasanas, a spinal twist, and many fulfilling cracks and pops in my back, I left feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world.

Although this is just a small example of how sedentary behavior can have large effects on someone who is not accustomed to just sitting around, the effects of neglecting our practice run much deeper. Through challenging ourselves physically through our asana practice, we are able to learn things about ourselves. Yoga has taught me many things, including patience, acceptance, and the ability to live in the moment. This has greatly reduced my stress level and improved the overall quality of my life. There is a significant connection between physical and mental health. So really, if you cheat yourself out of your yoga practice, you may endure greater adversities than tight hamstrings!

Sri K. Patthabi Jois said that yoga is “99% practice and 1% theory.” I can’t emphasize enough how true this really is. It takes repetition to truly master any skill. This is true both in life and in yoga. Perhaps try to approach both your yoga and your life in this fashion: persevere against all odds, but expect nothing. Maybe consider a yoga pose you now do regularly but once seemed impossible the next time you face something seemingly insurmountable.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment